Both Chambers of Congress are in session this week before recessing for Memorial Day next week. Please note that there will not be an edition of the Washington Insider next week unless there is breaking news to report.
On Wednesday, President Trump is scheduled with Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) to discuss how to pay for a proposed $2 trillion infrastructure initiative. This is a follow up to a meeting on April 30.
The House Appropriations Committee is continuing to markup Fiscal Year 2020 spending bills. On Tuesday, Energy and Water will be considered by the full Committee and the Interior-Environment bill will be marked up on Wednesday. Additional bills could be added to the agenda this week.
- Today, House Science, Space and Technology Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight is holding a hearing preparing transportation infrastructure for climate change.
- The House Ways and Means Committee on Wednesday holds a hearing on enforcement in the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
- The House Science, Space and Technology Committee meets Wednesday to review the fiscal 2020 Energy Department budget request with Secretary of Energy Rick Perry testifying. The House Science Committee has jurisdiction over vehicle technology research at DOE.
- Also on Wednesday, the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee will examine legislation to address the risks of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS).
- On Thursday, the House Energy and Commerce Consumer Protection and Commerce Subcommittee will hold a hearing on auto safety.